Thursday, May 04, 2006

Summer is coming, maybe

I hope everyone has been as lucky with the weather as we have been on Vancouver Island these last few days. The spring flowers and sunshine are a reminder that summer is on the way and this is the perfect time to knit a cotton top or two in readiness for the warmer weather. Hi! my name is Pam and I am employed by Inge and Jurgen in the yarn department of the store. We have some wonderful cotton yarns in stock and more coming. I am presently knitting the child's summer sweater Jurgen posted earlier. I'm knitting in Drops Safran which is a lovely yarn that works up very evenly into a soft flexible fabric. The sweater is for a little girl, size two, so instead of the plain hem the pattern calls for I have made a picot edge by knitting 2 together, yarn over. When folded up and sewn in place, it will give a feminine touch. I chose orange with mauvy blue stripes. Sounds wierd, but it looks very "trendy". I just have one sleeve to finish now and it looks as if I will have some yarn left over. Enough to make a "Lucy Pocket" ( little shoulder bag), about 3 inches square. After all, a girl needs a purse!! The sweater is knitted in the round on a circular needle. I recently learnt a couple of "new"tricks for joining the cast on edge of circular knitting. You can either a) cast on an extra stitch and knit it together with the first cast on stitch or b) slip the last cast on stitch over the first cast on stitch, thereby crossing the stitches. Both work well. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks!!
If anyone has any tips and tricks they would like to share, we would love to hear from you.